Re: zero bytes transfers and issue #382

From: Manfred Schwarb <manfred99_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 00:49:41 +0200

Am 24.08.2015 um 11:14 schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015, Jim Young wrote:
>
>> My suggestion would be to by default return to the previous behavior of not creating zero length files and add a new option to allow it. (In spite of the option "bloat" that Danial mentioned.)
>
> I'm leaning towards this as well. But since we probably want to toggle the behavior the same for both -o and -O, I consider adding a flag call --allow-empty or something like that, instead of adding separate -o/-O alternatives. If used it would save zero-byte files, if not used it would not save zero-byte files.

Actually, I strongly disagree.
A zero-byte file is much more than "nothing". It carries information in its
name and it has a time stamp.
Zero-sized files are often used as lock-files or as time-stamp file.

So in my opinion is is simply wrong to _not_ transfer such files, be it
with "-o" or "-O".

If you really want to add an option, then "--allow-empty" should be
the default.

If the transfer is not successful, then my suggestion would be to
not create artificial zero-size files, but that a bit a matter of opinion IMO.

Cheers,
Manfred