Re: zero bytes transfers and issue #382

From: Jim Young <j4young_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 17:47:18 -0500
On 8/22/2015 8:38 PM, Doughty, Marc wrote:
What about making it a behavior we can toggle?

-o won't create a file if it doesn't get any data, but -O will, or something like that?

I can see how both could be handy.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se> wrote:
Hi friends!

In curl 7.42.0 we made curl capable of "transfering" zero byte files. It basically means that it actually creates a zero byte file when you do
Yes - the zero byte file glitch was one that caught me by surprise the first time I encountered it.  Not that it was all that bad a problem to work around, just that it didn't act the same as most other sftp/ftp client programs did.

My suggestion would be to by default return to the previous behavior of not creating zero length files and add a new option to allow it.  (In spite of the option "bloat" that Danial mentioned.)

Jim Young