Re: big docs (was Re: Limits to curl command....)

From: Alex Bligh <alex_at_alex.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:50:19 +0000

On 19 Jan 2015, at 10:41, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> Which are the most commonly used options would you say? And how many options would be suitable to have in a "smaller docs" ?
>
> I could very well imagine making a "quick guide" or similar, but I would not like to duplicate the same info so I'd prefer to make some clever magic that extracts pieces from the real man page to make the smaller one.

Personally I like the format of the curl docs (well, the man page which is where I look for docs). I think splitting it into less and more frequently used options is either going to result in duplication or confusion (moving related options away from each other), and the options X considers common will no doubt be different from those Y considers common.

If I was going to suggest an improvement, it would be to add an 'EXAMPLES' section. But really compared to other CLI tools of similar complexity (openssl anyone?), curl is a paragon of good documentation.

--
Alex Bligh