Re: How to configure curl with libssh2

From: Jenkins, Peter (SLSA) <Jenkins.Peter_at_slsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 08:57:05 +0930

Thanks for your response Daniel.

Unfortunately I am a complete novice at installing unix packages (I have generally been happy with what OS X provides).

>> As there is no libbssh2, I installed libssh2-1.4.3 and now I have new
>> folders and various libssh2 files in /usr/local.
>
> You also need to make sure you have libssh2 include headers. Most
> distributions have a separate "dev" or "devel" package for that.

What does this mean?

I used what I thought was the obvious distribution at <http://www.libssh2.org/download/libssh2-1.4.3.tar.gz>.
I see nothing named "dev" or “devel” in there.
I see nothing about including headers or dev/devel packages in either the INSTALL file or the 'configure --help’ text.

>> configure: error: libSSH2 libs and/or directories were not found where
>> specified
>
> You can always load config.log and check for this error to get further details
> about exactly what happened when it failed...

I had done that and saw no mention of the expected path.
Perhaps I should have said that I couldn’t understand what I was reading.

Here is what I think is the relevant part of config.log:

> configure:24499: checking for libssh2_channel_open_ex in -lssh2
> configure:24521: gcc -o conftest -Qunused-arguments -Os -framework CoreFoundation -framework Security conftest.c -lssh2 -lldap -lz >&5
> ld: library not found for -lssh2
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> configure:24521: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "curl"
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "curl"
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "-"
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "curl -"
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "a suitable curl mailing list: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/"
> | #define PACKAGE_URL ""
> | #define PACKAGE "curl"
> | #define VERSION "-"
> | #define OS "x86_64-apple-darwin13.3.0"
> | #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
> | #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
> | #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
> | #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
> | #define SIZEOF_LONG 8
> | #define SIZEOF_VOIDP 8
> | #define CURL_TYPEOF_CURL_OFF_T long
> | #define CURL_FORMAT_CURL_OFF_T "ld"
> | #define CURL_FORMAT_CURL_OFF_TU "lu"
> | #define CURL_FORMAT_OFF_T "%ld"
> | #define CURL_SIZEOF_CURL_OFF_T 8
> | #define CURL_SUFFIX_CURL_OFF_T L
> | #define CURL_SUFFIX_CURL_OFF_TU UL
> | #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
> | #define LT_OBJDIR ".libs/"
> | #define HAVE_LDAP_SSL 1
> | #define TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
> | #define HAVE_TIME_H 1
> | #define HAVE_ZLIB_H 1
> | #define HAVE_LIBZ 1
> | #define HAVE_LBER_H 1
> | #define HAVE_LDAP_H 1
> | #define HAVE_LDAP_URL_PARSE 1
> | #define HAVE_SOCKADDR_IN6_SIN6_SCOPE_ID 1
> | #define HAVE_WRITABLE_ARGV 1
> | #define USE_DARWINSSL 1
> | /* end confdefs.h. */

I had also re-run the command with the -v option but I didn’t see any further information on exit code 1.

What am I missing?

Peter