RE: "Authentication failed" when trying to connect to Imap account

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 20:48:32 +0100

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Beatrix Willius wrote:

> Curl newbie here.

Hi and Welcome...

> I'm trying to connect to one of my Imap test accounts via Curl. It's
> works fine when using Python's imaplib, but Curl gives me an
> "Authentication failed" error. The server I'm trying to connect to a
> plain vanilla Kerio server.

Certain servers are known to give us problems in our DIGEST-MD5 implement and as the person who maintains the email protocols here, I've not got to the bottom of it yet, due to lack of access to such servers - my apologies :(

> Using Mac OS 10.9.4, Curl on Xojo via MBS plugin.

What version of curl are you using? I'm guess from your log output something that is pre v7.37.0?

Are you able to try again with either v7.37.0 or v7.37.1 (The latest)?

If not, is it possible to obtain the communication from Python's imaplib to see what it sends and receives from your server - this might be useful anyway if the latest version still fails.

Kind Regards

Steve