Re: Scripting curl from the inside out

From: Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 11:22:24 +0200

Rich Gray <rgray_at_plustechnologies.com> wrote:

> Daniel Stenberg wrote on the libcurl list:
> >
> > New stuff - curl
> > ================
> >
> > 1. Embed a language interpreter (lua?). For that middle ground where curl
> > isn’t enough and a libcurl binding feels “too much”.
>
> I have been toying with the idea of an option which would allow control of
> curl via scripting *between* multiple requests, allowing a single curl
> instance to perform multiple transfers to one or more hosts. Because curl
> would not die between commands, connections can stay open, DNS caches can be
> maintained, etc., making the repeated accesses more efficient.

Another way to increase efficiency would be to let curl optionally
act as frontend for a "curl-agent" which does the libcurl stuff and
keeps running in the background until it hasn't been used for a
certain amount of time (or until all the state expired).

It could be enabled with an environment variable in which case
existing scripts could benefit without requiring lots of
modification, just like gpg-using scripts benefit from
GPG_AGENT_INFO being set.

Fabian