RE: Using curl with stunnel

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 23:12:30 +0000

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014, Config wrote:

> However, I just discovered that using curl_735_0_ssl
> automatically connects using ssl (I think).

If the protocol part of your url is:

* pop3 then it will be plain text unless a) your server supports TLS
upgrades and b) you specify --try-ssl then it will perform an explicit SSL
connection.
* pop3s then it implicitly uses SSL from the very beginning and everything
is encrypted by OpenSSL or whichever SSL backend your version of curl was
built with.

--version will tell you which SSL library you are using. I'm guessing your
using Windows given you command prompt, so you'll probably be using OpenSSL
or WinSSL (aka Microsoft's SChannel).

> The email message is coming in un-enceypted however.

You mean using the packet sniffer, in your output file or in the console
output from curl?

> Not sure how to make a complete ssl connection. I thought pop3s
> would force this.

It does - that's the job of the various SSL backends we use ;-)

Kind Regards

Steve