Re: Curl cmd line pop email delete

From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml curl users <jn.ml.crlu.36_at_letterboxes.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 13:30:28 +0000

Config <config_at_suddenlink.net> wrote:

> I found out how to supposedly do this in a telnet examplt on the
>web. It is done like this.
>
>C:\Curl\curl_735_0_ssl\curl.exe -O C:\mail.txt -v -u user:password
>pop3://mail.myips.net/1 --request dele 1
>
> However, curl gets back a message that the mail was marked for delete, but
> the dos window hangs at that point and after closing, the mail has not
> been deleted.

That's because the "dele" command isn't enough. In a POP3 protocol it is
correct that "dele" commands only set up delete requests, but the POP3
server does not execute them until it is told to, by the QUIT command
normally sent at the end of the POP3 session (so eg by not sending that QUIT
the user has a chance to cancel the deletes). Strictly the user (you)
cannot be sure that requested deletes have been executed until you receive
and "OK" message back from the server after that QUIT command.

I'm afraid I don't know how, using curl, you'd issue a series of commands to
the server, especially if between each command you want to check the
server's response.