Re: curl with ftp URL works for SSL, but ftps URL doesn't: unknown protocol

From: Nick Zitzmann <nick_at_chronosnet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 00:48:17 -0600

On Jan 8, 2014, at 11:42 AM, Paul J. Lucas <paul_at_lucasmail.org> wrote:

> i.e., use ftps as the URL scheme rather than ftp I get:
>
> curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to localhost:-9800
>
> Why doesn't an ftps URL work? (Explicitly using --ftp-ssl-reqd makes no difference.) Is it a ProFTPD server misconfiguration? An incorrect curl command-line?

Nope, it’s a TLS problem. -9800 is errSSLProtocol, an “SSL protocol error” according to the documentation. I’m not sure what causes this error to occur, but if you can reproduce the problem, you should probably file bugs with Apple and ProFTPD and have them look at it.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>