Re: curl: (52) Empty reply from server

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 13:26:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 May 2012, Ajay wrote:

> * Connected to www.tvg.com (208.88.35.20) port 443 (#0)

>> GET / HTTP/1.1
> 3.12.10.0 zlib/1.2.5 libidn/1.18 libssh2/1.2.4
>> Host: www.tvg.com
>> Accept: */*
>>
> * Empty reply from server

This means curl got no error reported from the SSL library (NSS) but it didn't
get any response from the HTTPS server and that is an error.

> I searched curl-users archive regarding this type of reply and I found the
> following thread that mentions about "Unpatched client and patched OpenSSL
> server" http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2010-12/0004.html

That's one case showing the same symptom, yes, but we can't tell if the
reasons are the same.

> As mentioned in the above URL, I do not know how to set the parameter
> "SSL_OP_ALLOW_UNSAFE_LEGACY_RENEGOTIATION" Could anyone of you please help
> me how to set this parameter, if this is the solution or suggest an
> alternative way of solving the problem.

I believe that is an OpenSSL option and A) it would require a rebuild to fix
and B) your current curl doesn't even use OpenSSL but NSS... and as I said, we
don't even know that is the reason for the problem.

> I tried executing the same curl command with other https website and I am
> getting a non-empty response.

That sounds like a more fundamental problem with your NSS library then. Is
there _any_ HTTPS site that works for you?

> I am getting the following output
> OpenSSL 1.0.0e-fips 6 Sep 2011

Your curl runs NSS so the OpenSSL version isn't relevant here...