RE: Biologist new to cURL. Question about interacting with a form.

From: Bill Mercer <bmercer_at_nccer.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 18:08:50 +0000

>What happens exactly when you overload a server?

Well, it depends on the server. It might just run really slow, or it might crash,
or it might block you from accessing it. The thing to remember is it's a shared
resource, so your actions will affect other people too.

>I have actually advanced this job somewhat using python. Do you know

The main thing to remember about the curl command line utility is it's intended for one-shot
transfers, and relies on shell scripting to do things like looping and branching.

You could use python to build the strings and then call curl using python's shell command thingie,
which I can't remember off hand.

I mostly use curl with powershell or batch files on Windows, and bash scripts on linux.

>The major problem I am having now is uploading a file.

Uploading files is usually done with a special type of POST that requires different syntax.
Curl supports this with the -F option
See here...
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html#-F