Re: Help with ftp-ssl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:05:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011, Robert Bednar wrote:

> I notice you are using the standard port 21 for your
> connection...usually....ftps...uses a different port number "990" seems to
> be what I see. I changed all of my curl scripts from ftp to ftps.
>
> in my connection string I have to specify the port number after the ip
> address.
>
> curl -k -v -u username:password --ftp-ssl ftp://<ip address>:990

That's really not the common way though.

FTPS sites on port 990 are usually using "explicit" FTPS, which means you'd
use ftps:// URLs and for such URLs curl will default to port 990.

For ftp:// URLs and --ssl (which is the new name for what formerly was
--ftp-ssl) the normal setup uses port 21 as the connection then begins as
ordinary FTP before it gets "upgraded" to SSL.

There will of course be exceptions to this, but in Chris' case we can see that
the TCP connect succeeds so we can draw the conclusion that he does in fact
use the correct port number...