Re: Help with ftp-ssl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 23:08:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Chris Howard wrote:

> curl -k -v -u username:password --ftp-ssl ftp://<ip address>
> * About to connect() to <ip address> port 21 (#0)
> * Trying <ip address>... connected
> * Connected to <ip address>(<ip address>) port 21 (#0)
> < 220 Microsoft FTP Service
>> AUTH SSL
> * Send failure: Broken pipe
> * Closing connection #0
> curl: (55) Send failure: Broken pipe
>
> Is this some further firewall adjustment that needs to be made? I don't know
> how to proceed from here.

When it comes to network problems we can rarely rule out anything since these
days there are so many stateful and deep-inspection firewalls and others so
basically all kinds of network problems CAN be due to firewals or other
network-oriented equipments' fiddling with packets.

In this case it looks like the server (or something) perhaps simply closed the
connection after curl sent AUTH SSL. "Send failure: Broken pipe" seems to
indicate that. I'd suggest using wireshark or something to see if the network
traffic or TCP flags indicate anything. For most server curl would get a
"nack" back for that command and it would then send "AUTH TLS" and then the
server would respond with a positive response and then curl would initiate the
SSL handshake over the TCP connection.

If you can, check out the logs of the server to see if it offers any clues.