Cannot Create Truly Static Program With cURL

From: <brandonshw_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 20:13:21 -0400 (EDT)

I'm writing a program using curl to be run on Linux PCs which will be used by a number of different users. I cannot have the users all install curl on their individual machines, so I have tried to link curl in statically, rather than using libcurl.so. I downloaded the source and created a libcurl.a static library. However, when I tried to link it in with my program, it showed a lot of disparate undefined references, in other words it had dependencies on other libraries. It would be hard to figure out all the things it's calling for and link in static versions of those libraries too. How do people use curl for programs that are to be distributed to several users, most of whom don't have curl libraries on their PCs? How can I use curl in my program completely statically.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can shed.

Brandon