Trying to find out about timestamps used with --trace-time

From: Xeno Campanoli / Eskimo North and Gmail <xeno.campanoli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:25:00 -0700

On our servers where we have programmed some probes using curl, we are getting
offsets from the stated time on the server in these --trace-time timestamps.
Can somebody clarify to me where these times come from and why they might be off?

We have verified that they do not correspond to either our hardware time, nor
our cpu time.

The stamps seem to come up BEFORE the socket is connected. That doesn't mean it
couldn't get the times off the lower level packets or wrappings, but I'd like to
know specifically if I may, or if yet something else is happening. This is very
puzzling.

Sincerely, Xeno

--
"It's the preponderance, stupid!" - Professor Stephen Schneider, IPCC member