RE:application does not support the browser being used

From: Borden, Michael <Michael.Borden_at_STJUDE.ORG>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:00:14 -0600

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Borden, Michael wrote:

> I run the same command as above and get this error...
>
> <MSG>This application does not support the browser you are using
> (curl/7.10.7 (powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0) libcurl/7.10.7 zlib/1.1.4). Please
> try again using Microsoft IE or Mozilla FireFox.</MSG>

That's something the server end decided to spew out based on some heuristics
that we don't know about. Most likely based on the user-agent string, or
cookies or something else.

> The cURL executable was copied from 5.3 to 6.1. So, yes it is an older
> version of cURL.

"older" being an understatement. >6 years old, 5 security vulnerabilities and
866 documented bug fixes since...

> 1. Does the cURL version that we are using not work with newer versions of
> FireFox? Firefox is installed on both servers.

curl doesn't work with firefox at all and it doesn't care about it the
slightest. So no.

Jim Young gave me a good suggestion of using the -user-agent option, and that is working. However, I do know that we need to upgrade, but my Sys Admin is having problems of downloading the precompiled version and all of it's dependencies for AIX 6.1.
I have also tried compiling the newest version and get a compile error. It looks like it's a license error, but the Sys Admin says they get the same type of error with sudo and it finishes, while cURL does not. So, they assume it's an error with cURL source code.
It sounds like we still might have to use the -user-agent option even with a newer version of cURL, especially since it looks like the server is actually giving that error and not cURL.
I'll try to let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks for the help.