Re: Colon in usernames

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:33:53 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Thomas Langstadlinger wrote:

> The problem is that a colon is the separator for username:password.
>
> For instance:
> User = sip:username_at_domain
> Pass = secret12345

Yeah, that was an unfortunate choice of separator. I'm the one to blame for
it...

The good news first:

  1 - libcurl offers separated options that thus work entirely without any
      separator and thus allows basically all letters with ease.

  2 - a work-around way is to provide the username and password as part of the
      URL as in http://user:password@host/path as then they need to be url
      encoded and thus you must url encode the colon that is part of the user
      name and then you avoid this problem

The bad news:

  libcurl provides separated username/password options but the curl tool does
  not so 1) isn't providing a solution for curl users, only 2) does. We can
  of course rather easily extend curl to support the separate options but
  nobody has yet stepped forward to actually do it.