--create-dirs usage?

From: David Romano <romanod_at_math.grinnell.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:04:20 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I want to dowload a small directory of .pdf documents using http, and a
colleague suggested I use curl. From the man page and FAQ it seems that
curl cannot get these recursivey (say, by asking for the parent directory
and its contents), but I was hoping to at least use curl to recreate the
directory structure locally using --create-dirs. The trouble is I can't
seem to get the sytax correct. The directory structure is very simple:

top directory
www.pdf.org/subject

children directories
www.pdf.org/subject/amy
www.pdf.org/subject/birgid

where amy and birgid contain only pdf files, named according to content
(no serially or sequentially).

Any help suggestions would be greatly apreciated!

Thank you,
David Romano