Re: enforcing ~/.netrc permissions

From: Eric Wong <normalperson_at_yhbt.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:49:15 -0700

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Eric Wong wrote:
>
>> "Curl will not complain if that file hasn’t the right permissions (it
>> should not be world nor group readable)."
>>
>> Was this this a design decision or just something nobody has gotten
>> around to implementing? If the latter, I wouldn't mind providing a
>> patch to make it complain or even return an error.
>
> I just never bothered to do the check and I've not yet came across anyone
> who has even mentioned it. So my conclusion is that people really doesn't
> care that much about it.
>
> Changing this behavior now with no particular call for it would then
> rather risk that we introduce problems to existing users methinks.

Odd, I've noticed only /usr/bin/ftp on my Debian Lenny system complains
but doesn't error out. Of course nobody that I know of uses that
anymore and I didn't even notice it was installed. Both lftp and wget
are much more heavily used nowadays are fine with it being
world-readable. I guess it's not that important after all...

--
Eric Wong