Re: Patch for Metalink Support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:09:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Ideally, we would build the Mega one based on code used for the normal curl
> to optimize code re-use. Possibly we could even name such a child 'murl' ...

I blogged about this idea a few weeks ago:

   http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2009/03/09/murl-for-extended-curlness/

The comment recently posted on that post from 'pocoyo' in there lists an
interesting already started project (mulk) that is based on libcurl that does
some of what my imaginary 'murl' would do.

However much I want to see a 'murl' or 'mulk' or whatever, I seem to not have
enough time and energy in my life right now to be able to pull it much myself.
Actually, I'm having a very guilty conscience because of all this and my
inability to receive and properly deal with the metalink patch to start with
and other things we could do for curl (or murl or whatever).

I remain primarily focused on the underlying engines for this: libcurl, c-ares
and libssh2 right now and that's where I see myself continue to work.

I'm actually even bordering to "giving up" maintenance of the curl command
line tool, and the only thing that prevents me from doing it at this point is
that there just doesn't seem to be anyone else around to take over...

I'm unfortunately not seeing my efforts in working with the code specific to
the curl tool to gain speed any time soon.

You my fellow readers can of course help. By writing patches, testing patches,
writing your opinion, and help with all that other stuff you know need to get
done.