Re: ftp upload -frustrated newb question

From: Samuel Fitz <sam_at_samfitz.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:19:04 -0600

dave-
thanks for the quick response. so i'm realizing now that my example
was a little misleading. after reading through other submissions, i
think i misinterpreted how on submits a question. in other words i
altered the file path to make it more generic. here is another try
with a little less ambiguity:

curl -T "/Users/samfitz/vm/vertical-sites/VM\ Pubs\ -\
GTR-ACA/images/site/test.gif"
ftp://******:*******@www.allacadia.com//www/allacadia.com/images/site/

again i apologize for my ignorance, but what do you mean by turning up
the verbosity?

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com> wrote:
> At 14:28 -0600 10/6/08, Samuel Fitz wrote:
>>i have been playing with cURL/terminal in an attempt to streamline my
>>website updates. in the long run i hope to use cURL to manage the
>>remote image directory of up to 30 sites, but at present would be
>>happy to get it to work with one!
>>
>>i'm using terminal on a mac and when i submit this command line:
>>curl -T "/local/file/path/test.gif"
>>ftp://******:*******@www.allacadia.com//www/allacadia.com/images/site/
>>
>>i get this response:
>>curl: Can't open '/local/file/path/test.gif'!
>>curl: try 'curl --help' or 'curl --manual' for more information
>>
>>what i know: the ftp path is good. without the upload command i can
>>connect to the ftp fine using cURL. i'm pretty sure the local filepath
>>is good too. if i enter the path in terminal i get "cannot execute
>>binary file" which tells me terminal is finding it.
>>
>>as far as i know it shouldn't be a permissions issue...
>
> /local/file/path/test.gif is a bit strange for a Macintosh path. You must have created the three directories yourself starting at the root as opposed to $HOME. You needed to be a superuser to do that.
>
> try
> file /local/file/path/test.gif
> in Terminal.app.
> If it doesn't work try
> sudo file /local/file/path/test.gif
>
> Then have a look at each directory with
> cd /local
> ls -ld
> which will show you the actual permissions. The failure to execute might be a missing execute permission in a directory.
>
> You might also turn up the verbosity in curl -v.
>

> --
>
> --> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--

Samuel Fitz
sam_at_samfitz.com
307.413.4907