disabling static library when cross-compiling...

From: Sajith T S <sajith_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:07:23 +0530

Apologies if this is off-topic.

I'm trying to build curl for a MIPS target, on a PC, with ./configure
--disable-static --disable-shared.

Basically I don't need the static library. (Building shared library
would be nice, but not really necessary since I can manage with a
static binary. However it doesn't do that either.) Despire passing
--disable-static, it _always_ build the static library. How can I
_really disable_ bulding the static library? The same arguments to
./configure work for the PC target, so there's clearly something I'm
missing...

I believe this would be the relevant output of ./configure:

<snip>

checking for mips-linux-gnu-ar... (cached) mips-linux-uclibc-ar
checking for mips-linux-gnu-ranlib... mips-linux-uclibc-ranlib
checking for mips-linux-gnu-strip... (cached) mips-linux-uclibc-strip
checking if mips-linux-uclibc-gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for mips-linux-uclibc-gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if mips-linux-uclibc-gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if mips-linux-uclibc-gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if mips-linux-uclibc-gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the mips-linux-uclibc-gcc linker (mips-linux-uclibc-gcc) supports shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
configure: creating libtool

</snip>

Thanks,
Sajith.

--
"the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
     	         -- Chaucer.