curl hangs after EPSV

From: Terra Frost <terrafrost_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:01:09 -0500

I'm trying to use curl to upload to a Windows FTP server and am having some
difficulty.

Here's the command I'm using:

curl -T filename.ext -u username:password ftp://10.0.0.101/ -m 10

When I do this from another computer (say 10.0.0.102), I get a timeout
error.

As both the FTP server (FileZilla server) and Wireshark reveal, curl is
connecting to the FTP server. It sends the login info, does PWD, then EPSV,
and then hangs. Right before it's about to disconnect, it sends PASV. So
if the -m parameter were 5, it'd send PASV 5 seconds after everything else
and then disconnect. If the -m parameter was 10, it'd send PASV 10 seconds
after everything else and then disconnect.

If I omit the -m parameter, PASV gets sent 21 seconds after everything else
and then the connection is immediately closed.

I'm able to connect via FlashFXP without any problems. One thing I noticed
when doing this is that FlashFXP never sends EPSV. I tried disabling that
with the --disable-epsv flag, but that didn't help. I tried --ftp-pasv and
--ftp-skip-pasv-ip, too, to no avail.

When I try to do it from the same computer (10.0.0.101), however, it works.
PASV is never sent and the test file I'm trying to upload is uploaded.

Any ideas?