Re: Transition to "sane" command line option treatment

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:46:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> My first thoughts on how to do this, is simply to convert all the current
> options to _enable_ options and then introduce a new concept that negates
> the option. Like -v or --verbose to enable verbose, and --no-verbose to
> disable verbose.

Actually, that turned out both easier to do than what I first thought and it
also has less impact than what I thought since we only used the switch off
functionality in two places in the curl test suite and I personally never
really use the options that way.

See attachment for my first take at this. Of course this change has a major
impact on users that use the concept "specify option twice to disable it
again".

Would it be an acceptable blow? Can we improve this concept to make it nicer
to existing users?