Re: configure: error: OpenSSL libs and/or directories were not foundwhere specified!

From: Brian Dessent <brian_at_dessent.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:50:05 -0700

Weston C wrote:

> I get:
>
> ./curl: error while loading shared libraries:
> libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory
>
> So, obviously, not a net gain for me. :)

If you installed shared openssl into a non-standard location then you
need to inform the dynamic linker of that location so that it can find
the openssl library at runtime. This can be done by adding the location
to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or editing /etc/ld.so.conf, or by linking with an
rpath that specifies the location.

This applies to any shared lib that is installed outside of the normal
locations already known by the dynamic linker (i.e. /usr/lib) and isn't
specific to curl at all.

Brian