curl-7.18.1 on plain X86_64 with GCC-4.3.0 wants to cross-compile?

From: Dennis Heuer <dh_at_triple-media.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:14:58 +0200

I tried to install curl-7.18.1 on a freshly bootstrapped, plain X86_64
linux 2.6.25 system with GCC-4.3.0 (the rest up-to-date too.)
However, ./configure spit out the message that some libs are available
at link-time but not at run-time. I was confused by this, looked into
the configure script and found that this is only checked when
cross-compiling. This is not the case on my sytem and not what is
expressed in config.log:

Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: ./configure --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.3.0 --disable-multilib
Thread model: posix
(...)
configure:3397: checking whether we are cross compiling
configure:3399: result: no
(...)

The libs complained about are gss and gnutls. They're working fine with
other packages. I appended the (very huge) config.log for more
information.

Regards,
Dennis Heuer