Re: curl vs wget

From: Zvi Har'El <rl_at_math.technion.ac.il>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:30:26 +0200

I fully agree with Daniel. The comparison of cURL and Wget is highly
requested. For example, did you know that for ftp download, curl -RO
will give you the exact last modification time, while wget -N will give
you only the time that is listed in the ftp dir command, that doesn't
include seconds for files older then 6 month? This why I use curl -RO
<url> rather then wget <url> for most of my downloads. IMHO, adding
"wput" into the comparison is meaningless. You could ask to add several
other programs to the comparison (e.g. I use w3m for downloads very
often), but this was not the subject of the comparison. Also, wput is
relatively obscure tool. It is not included in my linux distribution
(RHEL), it is still in the pre-release stage, and even the RPM for it
is "untested contribution". Time will tell.

--
Dr. Zvi Har'El      mailto:rl_at_math.technion.ac.il    Department of Mathematics
tel:+972-54-4227607                  Technion - Israel Institute of Technology