Re: Implementing downloaded Win32 curl Binary & libcurl

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:33:42 +0200

rupert_at_howe.textdrive.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I was hoping to query the output of a local web application on my Windows
> machine, using curl.

Good choice. The curl executable doesn't help you much with soap. The most
effective way I found is to write one-liner batch files with a command
like so

   curl -v -o my-output -H "Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8" \
     -H "SOAPAction: WHATEVERCODE" \
     -d "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?> [...]" \
     http://127.0.0.1/the/path/to/your.dll

You cannot use backslashes in batch files, but you can enable Word Wrap
format in Notepad. The major drawback is to escape all quotes. Alternatively
you have to use two files (batch + data).

> I downloaded Daniel Sternberg's WIN32 curl binary (7.16.4) plus the
> libcurl (7.16.4).
> The README document (in both packages) refer to a document called INSTALL
> which I can't find.

Whoever compiled the executable you downloaded forgot it. Never mind.

> I assume that either/both of the dlls in the \libcurl-7.16.4\lib\
> folder should go in my /WINNT\Sytem32 folder.
> I am wondering if the curl application file should also go in the
> \WINNT\Sytem32 folder [ it is included in the PATH for my shell (DOS
> window) ]

Windows looks for executables and dlls in the current directory and in
the PATH. Dll can also stay in the directory from which the application
loaded, in case you specify a path on the command line. See

I'd recommend to use your own directory and add it to the PATH variable.
That makes things easier in case you reinstall the system.

Depending on the options enabled at compile time, curl may need more
dlls, e.g. openssl. Run curl through depend.exe to learn dependencies.
See http://www.dependencywalker.com/