Re: Newbie Troubleshooting Question...

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:23:27 -0700

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 02:56:42PM -0400, Dave Tabor wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have mentioned that I had tried
> the -k option, which didn't change the error.
>
> With the -v option, I get this output:
> * About to connect() to testing.servername.com port 443
> * Trying <ip addr>... connected
> * Connected to testing.servername.com (<ip addr>) port 443
> * found 59 certificates in /opt/TWWfsw/curl715/share/ca-bundle.crt
> * gnutls_handshake() failed: -9
> * Closing connection #0
> curl: (35) gnutls_handshake() failed: -9
>

> More information:
> ----------------
> The vendor I'm using has two servers, one test server and one live
> server. I found that I'm getting this error on the test server, but
> when I sent some 'test' data to the live server, I got a favorable
> response. (no gnutls_handshake failure)
>
> When I type either url into a windows web browser, they both give
> favorable responses.
>
> What could be missing or set correctly on my unix machine, that would
> give different responses on these two servers, vs. two good responses
> from windows?

Well, error -9 is GNUTLS_E_UNEXPECTED_PACKET_LENGTH, so it sounds like it's
a TLS protocol violation occurring. It doesn't sound like a libcurl
problem but rather a GnuTLS or OpenSSL problem/incompatibility. I suggest
first making sure you're running the latest version of GnuTLS and
trying to reproduce it. If this is a publically-accessible server,
I suggest reporting it to a GnuTLS mailing list.

>>> Dan