NTLM and HTTPS

From: Gerry Patterson <gerry_at_pgts.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:58:50 +1000 (EST)

Hello,

My Name is Gerry Patterson. I am a relatively new curl user.

I started using curl about three months ago because I am working behind
a proxy server which uses NTLM (not my choice -- but I am stuck with
it). I have used curl running on cygwin to fetch things from the web,
because I have not been able to get wget or lynx to work in an NTLM
environment.

The remote site that I am trying to connect to uses a certificate that
is verified for SSL Certificate Authority (according to Firefox). When I
read the output from the command:

    curl --manual

I attempted to follow the instructions in the help text. That is I tried
to obtain a copy of the existing certificates and pass them through
openssl and then use them in curl. I cannot find where Firefox stores
its' certificates. IE offers me the option to export certificates and
asks me to choose one of the following:

    2. DER encoded binary X.509 (CER)

    2. Base-64 encoded X.509 (CER)

    3. Cryptographic message syntax standard - pkcs #7

However when I tried to use this command:

    openssl pkcs12 -in [file you saved] -clcerts -out [PEMfile]

(copied from the manual)

I was not able to get it to work. I tried variations of the pkcs12
command for the -in option, but none of them on all three of the
different export choices from IE, but openssl was not happy with any of
them. Nor was it happy with the option of -clcerts

I tried several combinations of the --insecure and --user options to try
and get curl to connect to the remote host, but none of them worked.

here is one example that I tried:

curl --proxy-ntlm webproxy.foo.bar.com:8080 \
        --proxy-user scott:tiger \
        --user silly.msname.com.au\\foo:Cq5qXmg882 \
        --output test.xls \
        --cert-type DER \
        --cert /apps/cert/ABtrust.der:Cq5qXmg882 \
        'https://silly.msname.com.au/scripts/IsapiDownload.dll?w=ETPS&filename=%5CMailing%5FHouse%5Cfoo%5Cdownload%5CTLS%2DWeekending180507%2Ezip'

Most of the attempts returned:

    curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

Has anyone on this mailing list used curl for a similar project?
How did you do it.

Cheers,

Gerry Patterson