Beginner's help with Perl and Curl

From: Scott Medaugh <medaugh_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:43:44 -0400

 Hello,

 I am trying upload a file via Curl from a Mac to a Linux server. The Linux
 server has a Perl script to try and receive the file (note the "try") but
 there is no actual form on this website. The Curl command I am using is:

 curl -L -F "fileName=@/root/install.log"
 http://xxx.xxx.com/profiles/index.pl

 The server name has been changed to protect the innocent but the gist of
 what I am trying is there. The file will change when I get the process
 stabilized.

 The receiving end is using a (what I thought would be) simple Perl script
 receive this file to a tmp area before being archived. I have included the
 script below for review. I am at a complete loss as I recieve Internal
 Server 500 errors that are cryptic in the log. Any help is greatly
 appreciated.

 Perl Script:
 [code]

 #!/usr/bin/perl -w

 use CGI;

 my $upload_dir = "/tmp/profiles";
 # Permissions on the /tmp/profiles are 777

 my $query = new CGI;

 my $filename = $query->param("fileName");
       $filename =~ s/.*[\/\\](.*)/$1/;
 my $upload_filehandle = $query->upload("fileName");

  open UPLOADFILE, ">$upload_dir/$filename";

 # binmode UPLOADFILE;

    while ( <$upload_filehandle> )
      {
        print UPLOADFILE;