Re: How to begin troubleshooting - segmentation fault?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:28:54 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Charlie Reddington wrote:

> I'm a total newb to curl, and I personally am not the one using it. I am a
> sysadmin for a company that one of our developers uses it.
>
> We wrote a php script to do our billing for our website. When the script
> runs, I get this output *out been snipped*:
>
> ** about to authorize **
> about to use curl...1...2...3...4...5Segmentation fault

Nothing of this output comes from curl itself.

And btw, if you use the libcurl binding from within PHP we call that PHP/CURL
and there's even a dedicated mailing list for it!

> I know this is kind of vauge, but we started digging around google to see if
> there was anyone else who may have some insight for us, but there's a
> differnt situation for each.

You use gdb to post mortem analyze core files, or possibly strace as a first
step to see what the programs last steps before crash were. Then you read
source code and use a debugger.

> curl 7.12.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.12.1 OpenSSL/0.9.7a

That leaves only one word for you: upgrade.