Re: Graphical front-end to cURL?

From: Daniel Beardsmore <public_at_telcontar.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:37:17 +0000

You know, your e-mail list is a bloody pain. Because the archives don't
obscure addresses from spam harvesters, I signed up with my public
address, which redirects inbound to my private one. Thunderbird won't
send back out to the address it came in on, so every reply I send gets
thrown away at your end.

I had a sort out and deleted most of my sent mail, before realising this
had been lost. It was saved *ONLY* by the fact that I threw out the
local Sent mailbox after Thunderbird broke it: the mail was still there
in the Recycle Bin.

Do us all a favour ....

Begin recovered mail:

Dan Fandrich wrote:
>> http://telcontar.net/store/hosted/lists/HW13.png
>
> That screenshot reminded me of the kind of info that Firefox would give
> with the LiveHTTPHeaders extension. That combination gives the same kind
> of information for basic transactions.

I did play with that extension, but I was dissatisfied. HTTP Werkzeug
has tighter control: it renders nothing, executes nothing (and is thus
totally safe to use against any exploit), does not follow redirects and
is easier to use, with a much nicer interface as I recall. You're in
total control, whereas Firefox extensions require the memory and CPU
load of Firefox and to have Firefox installed to begin with. (In my
case, Firefox is in fact my primary browser.)

As far as Mac OS 9 is concerned, I think the verdict was that
LiveHTTPHeaders does not work in WaMCom Mozilla which is the best we've
got. Every other popular OS has Firefox of course.

> It probably doesn't allow as much flexibility, but for the cases of
> tracking the results of retrieving a standard URL and posting to a
> standard form, it's good enough.

Well, my program can't do multipart forms (it can do formdata forms) or
SSL. The other positive side to LiveHTTPHeaders is that it's more
intelligent than a packet sniffer when it's crucial to see what Firefox
(not any other browser) is getting up to. If a site is broken in Firefox
or all browsers (but not, say, only Opera or iCab) you can monitor it
closely with LiveHTTPHeaders to examine browser-server interaction.

In such cases, LiveHTTPHeaders, or a packet sniffer, works better. At
times, this would be more useful. It may do me good to reinstall it; I'd
removed it thinking it had broken Firefox but something else ended up
being the cause.

It depends what your use cases are ...

> There is/was MacOS 9 support in curl, but it's probably bit-rotted by now
> (see lib/config-mac.h).

Well, it depends how good the last version of wxWidgets was that
supported Mac OS 9. I'm tempted to believe that if I have near zero
interest in my application (which is publicly available, I just didn't
want to come across as a spammer ;) for either Windows or Mac OS X, I
don't suppose Mac OS 9 matters any more, as much as I love it.