Re: connects but then nothing

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:26:38 -0700

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:09:17PM -0400, Dorr, Brad wrote:
> Here are the results. I tried to diff URLs.
>
> curl -Svu mcla:NJqPLLpH ftp://ftp.initiatesystems.com

This connection is not going to be encrypted, because you didn't use ftps:
or --ftp-ssl.

> * About to connect() to ftp.initiatesystems.com port 21
> * Trying 66.105.34.179... connected
> * Connected to ftp.initiatesystems.com (66.105.34.179) port 21
> < 220 Initiate Systems Inc. Secure FTP Server (v. 2.0)
> > USER mcla
> < 331 Password required for PHFTP\mcla.
> > PASS NJqPLLpH
> < 530 Protocol not supported.
> * Access denied: 530
> * Closing connection #0

Looks like the server is complaining that you are sending your password in
cleartext.

> curl -Svu mcla:NJqPLLpH ftp://www.initiatesystems.com

Same thing--no encryption.

> * About to connect() to www.initiatesystems.com port 21
> * Trying 69.36.45.23... connected
> * Connected to www.initiatesystems.com (69.36.45.23) port 21
> < 220 propel Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).
> > USER mcla
> < 331 Password required for mcla.
> > PASS NJqPLLpH
> < 530 User mcla cannot log in.
> * Access denied: 530
> * Closing connection #0

Looks here like this server doesn't recognize your user ID.

Try the first example again, but use --ftp-ssl like I suggested. Also, be
aware that you've now published your user name and password to the entire
world. Better change your password--quickly, and edit it out in the next
log you post to the list.

>>> Dan