Re: cURL returns an error page, manually works fine

From: Joe Morris <talix_at_warpmail.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:08:19 -0400

On Jul 26, 2006, at 7:36 PM, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:24:58AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Joe Morris wrote:
>>> "FanFiction.Net Error
>>> An error has occurred while processing your request.
>>> If the problem persists, please alert site admin via
>>> http://support.fanfiction.net.
>>> All errors are logged for administrative and security purposes."
>>
>> That's the exact error I get when I browse this with Firefox on
>> Linux.
>
> ...and every other browser I tried. But if you go to
> http://www.fanfiction.net first, then enter that URL it works.
> Which is
> a pretty good indication that cookies are required to visit that
> page, and,
> in fact, four cookies are set. It looks like they're probably
> being set
> in JavaScript, so you might need to capture them manually before
> feeding
> them to curl.

I'm already trying to capture any cookies sent, but only through the
standard cookie-jar option on cURL. How would I go about grabbing
ones being set by JavaScript? Or even noticing them? Also, I'm
confused as to why so many chapters for almost any story on that site
load just fine, but certain ones never do. For instance, http://
www.fanfiction.net/s/1657629/1/ works just fine, but the 5th chapter
(http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1657629/5/) returns the same error page.

I'm curious as to the reason, but I'd be perfectly happy to just
figure out how to catch all cookies and have everything work even if
I don't know why. ;-) I really appreciate your help and quick

-Joe