Re: Is libcurl supported on Win64 OS (using Itanium 64 processor)?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:23:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 15 May 2006, RAVI KIRAN wrote:

Since you're talking libcurl, I've cc'ed my reply to the libcurl mailing list
and I suggest we continue and take follow-ups on this topic on that list only.

> I need libcurl to be used on Itanium 64bit (IA64) machine using OS Windows
> 2003 SP 1. In the curl download site http://curl.haxx.se/download.html I
> din't find any download for Win64.

We only point out packages we know of and I don't know of anyone offering
win64 packages of curl. The download packages beyond the source ones are not
provided by the curl project but by friendly persons and organizations.

> I downloaded the one available under win32 - MSVC title (versin is 7.15.1)

AFAIK, you can use the "generic" ones too.

> and built it successfully but on running a sample application provided in
> the tests I find that the application runs successfully but in the event
> viewer I can see there is an application error and on reloging I find a
> error report generated with *.hdmp and *.mdmp data dumps.

Well, someone said you need a little tweak to build libcurl for win64 but I
haven't really got very much input on it:

http://curl.haxx.se/feedback/display.cgi?id=11467622585020&support=yes

> I couldn't find any document which suggests libcurl is supported on Win64.
> Can anybody tell me is it supported? and if any one is using it?

libcurl builds and runs on more than 40 different OS and CPU combinations,
including a large amount of 64bit architectures. I can't see any reason why we
couldn't build and run fine on win64 as well.

But of course there may still be bugs and quirks since win64 seems to be a
very rarely used environment and I don't think very many people have used or
even tried libcurl on it yet.

> One more thing is on Win64 I am using the Intel compiler and not .NET
> compiler.

Please build libcurl from source and help us by telling what changes you need
to do to fix the win64 problems you experience. It is a bit hard to fix
problems for systems you don't have with a problem desscribed as vaguely such
as yours.