Re: streaming protocol support - rtsp/mms?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 23:55:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Jake Peavy wrote:

> There's been a couple messages lately on the wget list regarding support for
> streaming protocols such as RTSP or MMS.

Yeah, I noticed. I'll admit it surprised me.

> Have you given any thought or investigated incorporating support for these
> into cURL? I currently use a program called StreamDown to capture MMS
> streams, but it's proprietery closed-source and, needless to say, I'd rather
> use cURL :D

I've not done any investigation beyond some simple reading and general
browsing on the subjects.

I'm not even sure exactly what it would take to support it (MMS at least, RTSP
seems more straight-forward), but in general (lib)curl is a multi-protocol
transfer tool and library so adding new protocols is indeed good.

Personally, I'm not up to doing the job unless someone is prepared to pay me
for it, as I already have lots of work for at least the rest of the year and I
have no personal motivation for adding these protocols.

But if someone else feels like having a go at it, of course I'll assist and
offer my guidance and grumpy comments! ;-)