Re: CURL Behavior

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:27:03 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Jason Allen wrote:

> It appears that CURL tries to transfer the file as soon as it gets a
> cookie;

No. When you tell curl to transfer data to a HTTP server with POST or PUT, it
starts sending the data as soon as it should according to HTTP. That is
typically after it has sent the request-headers and that is _before_ it has
received any response-headers that would possibly include a cookie.

> however, the session may not be 'totally authenticated'.

If so, then you need to make a prior request to fetch the proper cookie.

> Is there an arbitrary timer between establishing a session and start of
> transfer?

There are no "sessions" in HTTP. There is just single-shot requests. Sessions
are created by servers by using cookies, dynamic URLs, hidden form variables
etc.

> Can I set this on the command line? I have a "--trace-ascii" log as well
> but it does not show any errors.

--trace-ascii shows you exactly what curl sent and received.