Arithmetic result exceeded 32 bits & HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

From: Art Norman <art_at_rsss.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:10:44 -0600

I am using the content-type multipart/form data (-F) method to do a curl
POST and receiving the errors HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error and
Arithmetic result exceeded 32 bits. I am posting from a SCO UNIX box to
a Windows URL. I have compiled the curl source on SCO UNIX,
successfully tested the curl form post to the same URL and now ported
the executables to another machine (any other SCO UNIX users out
there?). The same curl command and file have been successfully posted
to the same URL from a Linux machine, so the problem has to specific to
the SCO UNIX box. Possible sources of the errors that I suspect so far
include: 1) The header being sent from the SCO UNIX box since the
Internal Server Error is issued just after the Recv header message.
However, I am not sure how to differentiate and view the headers being
sent vs. the headers being received. 2) Related to the above issue is
the excessively large content length displayed in the trace file, while
the file being uploaded is only 2065 bytes. I am not sure how or why
this figure is arrived at and if it is being generated by the windows
host URL or the SCO UNIX box initiating the request. 3) Finally I have
to suspect the way curl was compiled on the SCO UNIX box and how it was
packaged and installed on the new box. However the details of that are
not practical to list here. I have listed part of the trace file below
for clues.
=> Send header, 324 bytes (0x144)
0000: POST /scripts/BatchUpload.dll?BatchUpload01 HTTP/1.1
0036: User-Agent: curl/7.14.1 (i386-pc-sco3.2v5.0.7) libcurl/7.14.1 Op
0076: enSSL/0.9.8a
0084: Host: developer.skipjackic.com
00a4: Accept: */*
00b1: Content-Length: 4891223702894543279
00d6: Expect: 100-continue
00ec: Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=--------------------
=> Send data, 48 bytes (0x30)
0000:
<= Recv header, 36 bytes (0x24)
0000: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
<= Recv data, 96 bytes (0x60)
0040: xceeded 32 bits.
0052: </body></html>
I apologize if I listed too much information or missed the critical
piece. As with most problems, the key is knowing what is relevant.
Thanks for any suggestions or feedback. Art