Re: Opinions on the new "bounce to a mirror" service

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:10:24 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, pierre wrote:

> I think this is a great idea, and it looks like working very fine for me =)
> ( I am in france )
>
> The first page will always be displayed ? Is this a need ? that could be
> transparent, using some headers redirection ... Well I dont know.

I'm considering a system where this bouncer sets a cookie and on subsequent
visits it redirects to that site at once without showing this transition page.
Of course under the condition that the mirror used the previous time is still
considered up-to-date. It could however be annoying if that host for example
decide to go offline for a while or if you would rather prefer to select
another mirror as default...

The current approach also uses no cookies or any client-side state trick which
I like.

> I like this !

Goodie. It isn't a load problem on the web site yet, but I think spreading out
the load is better and helps us maintain a good service as the load continues
to increase over time.

> I just hope that all mirrors will remain up to date ...

I am supervising the mirrors and I make sure that they are in sync. Mirrors
who fall behind, either by not syncing or by simply not responding, will be
removed from the list of available servers.

Of course, the mirrors' contents will be *somewhat* older than the main site
but they should never be more than roughly 24 hours behind (considering they
*should* sync at least daily).

Thanks for your view on this!