Opinions on the new "bounce to a mirror" service

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:44:23 +0100 (CET)

Hi

1. Pick _any_ URL from the curl.haxx.se site and replace the host name with
    curlm.haxx.se (that is an appended 'm' to the curl name, m is for mirror).

2. Paste that URL in your browser's address field. Watch. (or try plain
    http://curlm.haxx.se/)

3. Post your comments, ideas and feedback here.

The general ideas and reasons for this service, are 1) to provide a single
resource we can use to easier "distribute" visistors to a good mirror and 2)
to reduce the mirror clutter we're getting on the top of all curl web site
pages due to the raising amount of available mirrors. Thus I'll soon replace
all those links with one single one to curlm.haxx.se...

Using this curlm name, it is _very_ easy to copy 'n paste an existing URL and
then convert it into a URL that people will watch using their nearest mirror.

"Nearest" of course depends if we manage to detect the location of the
visitor's IP, and you can in fact improve this situation by heading over to
http://hostip.info and making sure that you get a correct location info for
your IP(s).

The mirrors appearing with this service are supervised and only those deemed
fine will appear.