Re: HTTP CONNECT Version

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:39:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Khoa Nguyen wrote:

> Using curl, I am trying to GET a page. Things work fine but I don't
> understand why the CONNECT method is HTTP/1.0 instead of HTTP/1.1

There's a simple reason, but I can give you a longish answer! ;-) See below.

> Why does it use HTTP/1.0? How can I force it to send HTTP/1.1 CONNECT if it
> makes sense to do so?

It uses 1.0 simply because the original "tunnel through http proxy" spec said
that was the way to do it. And since then I've never had any reason to modify
it to something else.

What would you gain by changing it to 1.1 in your particular case?

I have started work on code that would unify how requests are made (CONNECT vs
all-other-HTTP-ones) internally, and that would/will make CONNECT use 1.1. The
work has stalled though, since it broke ftp-over-http-proxy and it got a bit
too complicated for my taste so I might need to reconsider the whole approach.
And in the mean time, lots of other work took place in my TODO list with
higher prio, so that job is left pending.