Re: --max-filesize and streams

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:18:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Dave wrote:

> That would be great. Broken transfers are actually very common. Especially
> in the streaming world. Some streaming servers automatically shed the oldest
> running streams whenever the load gets too high. They assume that, if
> someone is still listening, the listener will manually reconnect. But if
> no-one was listening then the server will have freed up some bandwidth.

Now that is a weird way to deal with those things. I guess there's no way for
you to get the missing data then when you reconnect then?

>> So, I see a bit of work ahead of us to make this work! ;-)
>
> It would be appreciated very much. There are a bunch of us who are looking
> for a tool to use for time-shifting streams. We would like to be able to
> download them to our portable MP3 players. So far I have not found anything
> robust enough to reliably download a whole show on a consistent basis.

I would've thought that is what programs like streamripper
(http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/) do.

> I am not a protocol guy so I probably cant be of much help with the coding
> but I would be glad to do testing and help document how it can be used to
> download streams.

I understand.

But first, this would not involve protocol fiddling. This is pure application
code that uses libcurl. libcurl already provides all the support and data
required, we'd just need to make sure curl uses it the way we want.

While I of course would be happy to attract new users, I am already struggling
with a large amount of things I want to do with (lib)curl and I feel I make a
better contribution in the core code where not so many people feel fluent.
This kind of client-side could can be fixed by basically anyone who feels like
it with very little effort.

So, even while I see your view and I think I understand a little bit of what
you're asking for, I don't see myself doing the work to get these things to
work within a near future. Sorry.

(Yet I use/hack my mp3 player daily => http://www.rockbox.org/)