Re: Basic Authentication from command-line cURL

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:13:32 -0700

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:56:19AM -0700, pURbA wrote:
> it doesn't work at all. it always gives me an error
> message '401.2 - Unauthorized'.

So, you're saying that you've never seen it work, on a browser, command-line
or PHP? Sounds like you need to talk to someone in charge of the server to
make sure your login is actually enabled and find out how that can be tested.

> since it doesn't work from PHP, so i tried it from
> command line, hoping it might work.
>
> so, whenever i send a plaintext username & password,
> curl will encrypt them (not fully encryption) using
> base64 function, as mentiod by ignacio, right?

Yes, curl automatically base64 encodes the username and password, as required
by standard HTTP Basic authentication.

> i'm really confused 8-(. i've been working on this too
> long....
>
> any help???

It doesn't sound like a curl problem. You need to find out exactly what
the server is expecting. Ask if there's a test account you can use.

>>> Dan