Re: cURL hanging on mac os x 10.3.9

From: Julian Tonti-Filippini <tontij01_at_student.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:43:30 +0800

<quote>
Use --trace-ascii dumpfile to see what the last thing that happens is.
Use your strace equivalent (I believe it is called ktrace on Mac OS X)
and figure out what it does when it "hangs".
Compile with debug (-g) enabled and use your debugger to find out why
it does what you find out it does when it hangs.
</quote>

Thankyou for the assistance Daniel, taking your advice I generated a
trace and log file...

ktrace -f curlTrace.out curl --url http://www.google.com
kdump -f curlTrace.out

curl --url http://www.google.com --verbose --trace-ascii curlLog.dat

...and concluded I should be wearing a hat with a little propeller on
top.

Using google as a test site, has multiple addresses; cURL tries several
of them, fails on each with a long default time-out and leads me to
think it's hung. But no hang, just me being impatient. So the failure
to connect was a network issue, nothing to do with cURL. The solution,
turned out to be that the IP's of both Macs are filtered and I didn't
know it before-hand. Borrowing an unfiltered IP from a neighbouring
Linux box, everything works just fine.

My name should be Bobo...