RE: Getting error code 28 on one non-existant file but 22 on another

From: Wayne Dawson <Wayne_Dawson_at_inventuresolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:45:12 -0700

Hi Daniel, my replies to your questions are in [ ], below.

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Wayne Dawson wrote:

> I know what it means, but it doesn't make sense for that... Therer's
> no reason for the timeout. There's no network condidtion for it to
happen.

And you are absolutely sure about that?

[I'd swear to it. ]

> The file is smaall. The thing is that it doesn't exist. A file with
> that name *could* exist, but yesterday there ws no such file. I
> should have got error 22.

Can you show us a command line against a public URL that repeats this
problem?

[Well, I'd like to... but I can't without giving you our password to the
site. This site is an ASP's SSL site, and authentication is required.
The files downloaded have client's personal information in them, and
well, you know they wouldn't appreciate it. ;)

In any event, it's never happened to the daily files, only the monthend
ones, and month end was yesterday. Today there would be only daily
files. If the problem is related to the long filename it would need at
least one existing monthend file.]

Anyway, it would help if you'd use --trace-ascii in your problematic
case as then we could analyze that log more when this error 28 occurs.
And if you'd upgrade to 7.14.0 and --trace-time it would be even better.

[Since, it won't happen now until next month -- at least I haven't seen
it on the daily files -- this will have to wait until then. I can try
it. Using 7.14.0 is probably a good idea, regardless, too. Actually,
that's what I have on my local workstation (your build, as a mater of
fact). However, I updated only yesterday, and didn't do it on the
production machines.]

> I did get error 22 when I tried to get the other style of filename,
> that also didn't exist.
>
> This may sound weird, and I tried to explain it, but maybe it wasn't
> too clear.

I think you were clear, but it still sounds odd.
[OK, then.... Since we get all the files that are there; I'll change the
error message to be a warning message; if I can't find any reason for
this behaviour.

Thanks for the ideas - Wayne ]