Re: Need help building libcurl with a slightly different name.

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:55:44 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 12:35:50PM -0400, Scott Davis wrote:
> Now, although we don’t have to do this on Unix, we have decided to do it
> anyways, to keep things consistent.

This may be consistent across platforms, but would your users prefer
consistency within their chosen platform? In my case, that would be my
preference.

> But I’m a bit stymied by the Unix makefiles.
> I have successfully rebuilt the Unix OpenSSL project (and that in and of
> itself was a mess) with a new name, but the cURL project is giving me fits.
> For example, the LINK command seems to be done by something called libtool,
> which I know nothing about.
> Can anyone offer assistence?

libtool provides a consistent interface to link shared libraries across
platforms. In the curl case, it is driven by the automake makefiles. The file
you want to change is lib/Makefile.am. The lib_LTLIBRARIES line gives
the generated library name. Once you change that, there will be a
ripple-down effect and the name will also need to be changed elsewhere
(e.g. where curl is linked, config-curl, etc.).

If it were up to me, I'd leave the name as it is and put the library
in a safe location and force my app to get it there. But that might
not be quite appropriate for your situation.

>>> Dan