Need help building libcurl with a slightly different name.

From: Scott Davis <scott_victor_davis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:35:50 -0400

Hello all,
I’m hoping to get feedback on how I might alter the makefiles to build
libcurl on Unix with a different name.
The reasoning behind this is kind of convoluted, but I’ll explain.
My company deploys libcurl as part of a communications integration package.
We have both a Windows and Unix flavor of this package.
On Windows we started running into problems with other versions of libcurl
(and even more problems with openssl, but that’s off topic) being in the
system32 directory.
Those other versions, deployed by other people, would interfere with our
package’s copy of libcurl, because system32 trumps the PATH.
We could prevent this from happening by placing libcurl in the same
directory as the executables using it.
However, because of the way our package is designed, we can not do this
without a complete redesign (and that’s not happening anytime soon).
Hence, the remaining options are as follows:
1 Deploy our libcurl to system32, overwriting any copy in there, as long as
we can determine that ours is newer.
2 Build libcurl with a slightly different name (in our case,
clslibcurl1.dll), and deploy it to our commonfiles directory.
We have chosen the latter, as we have deemed #1 just too fraught with
danger.
And, indeed, I have successfully done this.
Now, although we don’t have to do this on Unix, we have decided to do it
anyways, to keep things consistent.
But I’m a bit stymied by the Unix makefiles.
I have successfully rebuilt the Unix OpenSSL project (and that in and of
itself was a mess) with a new name, but the cURL project is giving me fits.
For example, the LINK command seems to be done by something called libtool,
which I know nothing about.
Can anyone offer assistence?