Fwd: RE.: Outputting HTTP request to a file

From: RSN RSN <authorisation_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:08:01 +0100

On 4/22/05, Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, RSN RSN wrote:
>
> > It states that the -i and -D provide the headers yet they only provide the
> > replys.
>
> Yes, the docs should be clarified.
>
> > The question of why the headers have been split has not been answered.
>
> I already explained my reasoning for this. And the historic reasoning is not
> that important anymore in my view, providing backwards compatibility is what
> concerns me more.
>
> > The people at Ethereal found it neccessary to include this function.
>
> Ethereal is a completely different tool so I don't think any comparision with
> that is fair.

Ethereal is used in application testimg as well for the same reason to
observe HTTP requests and responses during execuition of scripts. If
curl were capable of performing this in the required manner then the
need to use Ethereal as well would be superflous.

> Since --trace already contains all the info you want and in the order and flow
> you want, can you at least tell me why it isn't good enough?

The feature of observing the HTTP headers (requests and replys) is
common practice in testing. When used within a script which cycles
throught 1000s of requests the output file will grow substantially. It
will become very unpratical to search between all the "fluffy"
unnecessary data for the data of interest. This puts off alot of
testers in using curl in testing. Could you please explain what the
-i option is for if not to observe the entire HTTP conversation. The
format of the -i option is perfect for testing purposes.

> I would much rather either adjust one of the --trace* options or perhaps even
> add a third one, than modify what -i and -D do.

It doesn't have to be the -i or -D option. It just appears that the -i
option performs to 80% the required function for application testing
also in the output. How you implement it is entirely upto you but I
know for sure the this feature would be very welcome by application
testers.