Re: Progress meter and custom output

From: Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:42:13 -0700

At 14:17 +0100 2/2/05, Gunno Ivansson wrote:
>I am using curl (via AppleScript and do shell script) on my Macintosh (OS
>10.3.7) to send files to our print shop.

Posted To: applescript-users_at_lists.apple.com
Subject: Showing progress with curl and Terminal in OS X

These links point to a couple of scripts I have prepared for display of progress information when using curl on Mac OS neXt.

They make use of Apple's Terminal application to display the output of curl as it is sent to standard error and lost when a request is made via AppleScript or treated improperly when executed from a BBEdit worksheet where all of the returns are changed to newlines.

A separate, titled - er named - window is set up in Terminal for the purpose. The scripts are designed for, but not limited to, curl.

<ftp://ftp.macnauchtan.com/Software/Progress/tView.text> ## Read first
<ftp://ftp.macnauchtan.com/Software/Progress/tViewCmd> ## A perl script
<ftp://ftp.macnauchtan.com/Software/Progress/tViewInit> ## A tcsh script

I expect to make some changes and to add some real GUI AppleScripts to drive the shell scripts but . . . Is anyone else interested?

My thanks to the folks on the AppleScript mailing list and especially to Martin Orpen who was very helpful while I was developing workarounds for Terminal.app's fanciful dictionary of AppleEvents .

--
Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.